Tuesday, April 22, 2008

THE CHALLENGE OF SOLOMON

As you progress through the officer line you are beset with many mental challenges along the way. In your first few years the utmost proficiency of the first section lectures torments the mind as you try to keep your cool while all eyes watch for the slightest stumble... As you reach the mid-point of the line you face the rigors of the Middle Chamber an obstacle not for the faint of heart and a dead end to many journeys in lodges where this is a requirement. For this reason many lodges do not require their members to learn this lecture and designate brothers who have mastered it to perform it when required. Right, Wrong, Indifferent, Undecided.....

In the final stations we master the three degrees or do we ? The first stumbling block is an ackward little piece called the letter "G" which again I have seen delegated away. Then the ultimate challenge, one of both endurance and mental toughness, the Challenge of Solomon. Any Master who has conducted both sections of the sublime degree know they are in for a long night. Again for this reason many lodges have one Master do the first section and another Master do the second section. I choose this path my first year as Master, I figured I had enough to deal with learning to run the lodge. So this year as I have had a second opportunity to serve I decided that this was the year to take on this challenge.... So last night I took my seat with a nervousness that I had not experienced since I mastered the Middle Chamber. All in all I was happy with my performance especially knowing that I will have two more opportunities to perform it. With five candidates in waiting, yes five, it was going to be a long one....and it was.

My second reason for taking on this task goes back to first blog "BUILDING A LINE"...since my new lodge has not performed this degree for decades I doubt there are many Masters who took the time to learn it and are also active, someone has to meet the challenge. I have always believed in being part of the solution and not part of the problem. Therefore by learning this part I now can be the cornerstone for the performance of this degree by my new lodge.

Always remembering everything is built one stone at a time.....

1 comment:

Tom Accuosti said...

I happen to love the G lecture, believing that it's one of the nicest pieces of ritual - and perhaps the most appropriate - in our 3 degrees.

In Friendship Lodge, we're expected to do all of the work, but we have a long and established line, so most of us get plenty of opportunity to learn and practice.

One of the PMs and I will flip back and forth in the 3rd, not because it's too long, but because we both enjoy doing the parts, so we share them. We have a routine so that it looks more natural to swap parts at a certain point, and we've done so in several lodges over the past few years.

I dont' envy anybody trying to rebuild a line. I'm working with a couple of lodges now, and if all of the officers aren't committed, then it puts a strain on the rest of the guys. Best of luck in your new lodge!