Monday, July 28, 2008

CORNERSTONES

Unfortunately every once in a while we get a call, letter or an e-mail regarding the passing of one of our brothers. The fraternity is full of so many brothers that have been members for decades and of these brothers there are a select few brothers who have been cornerstones for their respective lodges. The brother that you know will always be there and does all the little things behind the scenes. I received an e-mail this past week regarding one such brother from a lodge in my district. Even though this brother was not a member of my lodge I felt obligated to attend his masonic service. The brothers from his lodge were truly saddened by his sudden passing and appreciated the support.

On the way home my SW and I discussed this topic and it was clear based on the age of a few of our cornerstones that we were in for some sad occasions of our own in the coming years. The dedication and devotion to the craft by some of these brothers is simply amazing. Although I feel I make an impact, I ask myself if I can sustain the effort as many of these brothers have.

So I ask, are you a cornerstone ?

No comments: