Friday, July 4, 2008

ONE LUMP OR TWO

As we have now reached the point of summer break and I am now preparing my fall Trestle Board I have been reflecting on being Master for a second year. Our lodge has had a progressive line for ten years however last year we had an officer who was unable to continue so we held the top three officers the same and moved everyone else up a chair. This gave me the unique opportunity to serve a second year.

Any one who has ever been Master probably will agree that as much as you plan and anticipate your year as Master nothing can truly prepare you for the task at hand. The year goes by so fast that next thing you know it is over and you say to yourself I wish I had another year knowing what I know now. Well I have had that chance and it has been much more relaxing than my first year. I think I have learned to expect the unexpected in a volunteer organization and to go with the flow better. I know also that there are many Masters that are happy when their year is over, one lump is fine by them

Next year I will move up the street as we say to my affiliate lodge and serve as Master for that lodge, if elected of course. I will face new challenges and hopefully provide steady leadership as they develop their junior officers. Being Master is a privilege and I only hope that I do well by the brethren and I don't mind taking a few lumps for the good of the craft.

No comments: